Seasoning the new humidor:
Please do not place your cigars in the humidor prior to seasoning it. The dry wood in a new humidor will suck up the moisture in your cigars and possibly ruin them.
- Wipe down the interior of your humidor with distilled water and a clean cotton cloth (no sponges). Don’t soak the interior wood as overdoing it might cause some warping as well as water stains. Wiping down the inside of the box is optional if you wish to run the humidifier for 72-96 hours prior to putting the cigars inside. It is much better to just be patient and allow your humidor to come up to humidity by itself. If not, continue below.
- Completely close the humidor and wait for the water to soak in for about an hour.
- Once the interior is dry, fill a shot glass with distilled or purified water and put it in the bottom of the humidor.
- Close the humidor and let it sit over night.
- After 24 hours, your humidity reading will probably be a little high.
- Take out the shot glass and install your humidifier based on the instructions that come with it. Let it run for at least 24 hours without cigars (72-96 hours if not initially wiping).
- Once your humidifier reaches 65 percent (set for 65%-70%), load your humidor up with cigars.
- Note: A humidor will stabilize better and more evenly when 75%+ of its volume is full.